- Learn to build exciting 2D Games using Unity's robust set of tools,
- Get to know the new Unity UI system and learn all about cameras, animation, movement, and more
- Enable yourself to structure and manage a Unity project from beginning to end, by tapping into the wisdom and experience of seasoned game development veterans
Prepare yourself to travel back to the 90s and build a game like they used to make, using today's technology. That's right-we're talking about making 2D games using Unity!
This book will help you build 2D games in Unity using the engine's 2D technologies based on Version 5.x. You'll learn the basics of importing assets and building foundation technology all the way up to full combat and boss battles! With the book's straightforward and practical approach, each chapter takes you a step closer to the final game. We will wrap things up by creating a dynamic gameplay, using algorithms to spawn enemies and organize them.
Once you reach the end and have integrated a final battle, you can go back to the challenges included in each chapter and use them to improve the game and your 2D game development skills!
What you will learn
- Build a 2D game using Unity 5.x's native 2D technologies
- Set up and import assets for 2D game development
- Create a script that works in the 2D space
- Design the development and deployment of state systems for object management
- Use C# events and delegates to pass information between objects
- Create a menu to handle the interaction with the player
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. A Flat World in Unity
Chapter 2. Baking Cupcake Towers
Chapter 3. Communicating with the Player – the User Interface
Chapter 4. No Longer Alone – Sweet-Toothed Pandas Strike
Chapter 5. The Secret Ingredient Is a Dash of Physics
Chapter 6. Through a Sea of Sprinkles – Navigation in Artificial Intelligence
Chapter 7. Trading Cupcakes and the Ultimate Battle for the Cake – Gameplay Programming
Chapter 8. What Is beyond the Cake?