ESP8266 Home Automation Projects: Leverage the power of this tiny WiFi chip to build exciting smart home projects
- Harness the power of the ESP8266 Wi-Fi chip to build an effective Home Automation System
- Learn about the various ESP8266 modules
- Configuring the ESP8266 and making interesting home automation projects
- A step-by-step guide on the ESP8266 chip and how to convert your home into a smart home.
The ESP8266 is a low-cost yet powerful Wi-Fi chip that is becoming more popular at an alarming rate, and people have adopted it to create interesting projects.
With this book, you will learn to create and program home automation projects using the ESP8266 Wi-Fi chip. You will learn how to build a thermostat to measure and adjust the temperature accordingly and how to build a security system using the ESP8266. Furthermore, you will design a complete home automation system from sensor to your own cloud. You will touch base on data monitoring, controlling appliances, and security aspects.
By the end of the book, you will understand how to completely control and monitor your home from the cloud and from a mobile application. You will be familiar with the capabilities of the ESP8266 and will have successfully designed a complete ready-to-sell home automated system.
What you will learn
- Get, compile, install, and configure an MQTT server
- Use the Wi-Fi connectivity feature to control appliances remotely
- Control several home appliances using the ESP8266 Wi-Fi chip
- Control and monitor your home from the cloud using ESP8266 modules
- Stream real-time data from the ESP8266 to a server over WebSockets
- Create an Android mobile application for your project
About the Author
Catalin Batrinu graduated from the Politehnica University of Bucharest in Electronics, Telecommunications, and Information Technology. He has been working as a software developer in telecommunications for the past 16 years. He has worked with old protocols and the latest network protocols and technologies, so he has experienced all transformations in the telecommunication industry. He has implemented many telecommunications protocols, from access adaptations and backbone switches to high-capacity, carrier-grade switches on various hardware platforms from Wintegra and Broadcom.
Internet of Things came as a natural evolution for him and now he collaborates with different companies to construct the world of tomorrow that will make our life more comfortable and secure. Using the ESP8266, he has prototyped devices such as irrigation controllers, smart sockets, window shutters, Digital Addressable Lighting Controls, and environment controls, all of them controlled directly from a mobile application over the cloud. An MQTT broker with bridging and a WebSockets server was even developed for the ESP8266. Soon, all those devices will be part of our daily life, so we will all enjoy their functionality.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Getting started with the ESP8266
Chapter 2. Build and configure your own MQTT server
Chapter 3. Building a home thermostat with the ESP8266
Chapter 4. Control appliances from the ESP8266
Chapter 5. Use the ESP8266 to build a security system
Chapter 6. Securing your data
Chapter 7. Real-time Communication
Chapter 8. Adding a Mobile Application to Your Smart Home