An Accessible Guide to the Java Language and Libraries
Modern Java introduces major enhancements that impact the core Java technologies and APIs at the heart of the Java platform. Many old Java idioms are no longer needed and new features such as modularization make you far more effective. However, navigating these changes can be challenging.
Core Java® SE 9 for the Impatient, Second Edition, is a complete yet concise guide that includes all the latest changes up to Java SE 9. Written by Cay S. Horstmann–author of the classic two-volume Core Java–this indispensable tutorial offers a faster, easier pathway for learning modern Java. Given Java SE 9’s size and the scope of its enhancements, there’s plenty to cover, but it’s presented in small chunks organized for quick access and easy understanding.
Horstmann’s practical insights and sample code help you quickly take advantage of all that’s new, from Java SE 9’s long-awaited “Project Jigsaw” module system to the improvements first introduced in Java SE 8, including lambda expressions and streams.
- Use modules to simplify the development of well-performing complex systems
- Migrate applications to work with the modularized Java API and third-party modules
- Test code as you create it with the new JShell Read-Eval-Print Loop (REPL)
- Use lambda expressions to express actions more concisely
- Streamline and optimize data management with today’s Streams API
- Leverage modern concurrent programming based on cooperating tasks
- Take advantage of a multitude of API improvements for working with collections, input/output, regular expressions, and processes
Whether you’re just getting started with modern Java or you’re an experienced developer, this guide will help you write tomorrow’s most robust, efficient, and secure Java code.
Register your product at informit.com/register for convenient access to downloads, updates, and/or corrections as they become available.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Fundamental Programming Structures
Chapter 2. Object-Oriented Programming
Chapter 3. Interfaces and Lambda Expressions
Chapter 4. Inheritance and Reflection
Chapter 5. Exceptions, Assertions, and Logging
Chapter 6. Generic Programming
Chapter 7. Collections
Chapter 8. Streams
Chapter 9. Processing Input and Output
Chapter 10. Concurrent Programming
Chapter 11. Annotations
Chapter 12. The Date and Time API
Chapter 13. Internationalization
Chapter 14. Compiling and Scripting
Chapter 15. The Java Platform Module System