Learn how to make iOS and tvOS games in Swift, using Apple's built-in 2D game framework: Sprite Kit. Through a series of mini-games and challenges, you will go from beginner to advanced and learn everything you need to make your own game!
[Screenshots of 6 games: Zombie Conga, Cat Nap, Drop Charge, Dino Defense, Delve, and Circuit Racer]
By the time you’re finished reading this book, you will have made 5 complete mini-games, from an action game to a puzzle game to a tower defense game!
Topics Covered in 2D iOS & tvOS Games by Tutorials
- Sprites: Get started quickly and get your images onto your screen.
- Manual Movement: Move sprites manually with a crash course on 2D math.
- Actions: Learn how to move sprites the "easy way" using Sprite Kit actions.
- Scenes and Transitions: Make multiple screens in your app and move between them.
- Camera: Use Sprite Kit's built-in camera to control your view.
- Labels: Learn how to display text for lives, score and more in your game.
- tvOS: Learn how to port your game to the Apple TV and work with the remote.
- Physics: Add realistic physics behavior into your games.
- Beyond Sprites: Add video nodes, core image filters, and custom shapes.
- State Machines: Learn about GameplayKit's state machine support in iOS 9.
- Particle Systems: Add explosions, star fields, and other special effects.
- Adding “Juice”: Take your game from good to great by polishing it until it shines.
- Entity-Component System: Use GameplayKit's new architecture for max reusability.
- Pathfinding: Make your characters move using GameplayKit's new pathfinding support.
- Tile Maps: Make games that use tile maps.
And much more, including: Randomization, procedural levels, game controllers, and 5 downloadable chapters!
Table of Contents
Section I: Getting Started
Chapter 1: Sprites
Chapter 2: Manual Movement
Chapter 3: Actions
Chapter 4: Scenes
Chapter 5: Camera
Chapter 6: Labels
Chapter 7: Beginning tvOS
Section II: Physics and Nodes
Chapter 8: Scene Editor
Chapter 9: Beginning Physics
Chapter 10: Intermediate Physics
Chapter 11: Advanced Physics
Chapter 12: Crop, Video, and Shape Nodes
Chapter 13: Intermediate tvOS
Section III: Juice
Chapter 14: Making Drop Charge
Chapter 15: State Machines
Chapter 16: Particle Systems
Chapter 17: Juice Up Your Game
Section IV: GameplayKit
Chapter 18: Entity-Component System
Chapter 19: Pathfinding
Chapter 20: Agents, Goals, and Behaviors
Section V: Advanced Topics
Chapter 21: Tile Map Games
Chapter 22: Randomization
Chapter 23: Procedural Levels
Chapter 24: Game Controllers
Section VI: Bonus Chapters
Chapter 25: Game Center Achievements
Chapter 26: Game Center Leaderboards
Chapter 27: ReplayKit
Chapter 28: iAd
Chapter 29: 2D Art for Programmers
- Title: 2D iOS & tvOS Games by Tutorials: Beginning 2D iOS and tvOS Game Development with Swift 2
- Author: Ali Hafizji, Marin Todorov, Michael Briscoe, Mike Berg, Neil North, Ray Wenderlich, Rod Strougo, Toby Stephens
- Length: 696 pages
- Edition: 1
- Language: English
- Publisher: Razeware LLC
- Publication Date: 2015-10-28
- ISBN-10: 1942878141
- ISBN-13: 9781942878148